Thursday, February 26, 2009

People are funny.....

Or odd...or just different, I guess. We're condo owners here at our winter residence in sunny Florida. So many personalities and dispositions living in close quarters. Our complex is rather old, but is in a terrific location just steps across the street from the Atlantic. Because it's an older complex, and not all that big, it's always been operated under a rather loose set of rules. For the most part, folks here like it that way. But then, there are always one or two broken rules that are so blatant, they can't be ignored. To bring things into compliance, our board has hired a property manager which creates a whole new set of issues. The jury is still out on the success or failure of this new approach to governing and managing but I'm guessing there will be plenty of fireworks in the meantime. Which leads me to my quest to make smart decisions on designs and fabrics for my aprons and tops. Often, I need someone to slap me and remind me that I can't possibly please every buyer out there, (much as our board can't please every resident in our condo complex). I have to keep my focus on the strengths that I bring to each choice make. I have to discipline myself to stay in my comfort zone and fashion my creations the way I see them in my mind's eye. At times, this is difficult. Although I want to be current, I try not to get caught up in what's merely popular or trendy. Even though I draw on my own imagination, it's hard not to be influenced by what I see and hear. Sometimes, I almost feel the need to slap myself to get back to "Me" and what I do best. Managing and directing the ins and outs of a condominium is surely more difficult than deciding on a fabric or a design choice for an apron. But, some of the same conflicts apply because in reality, people are funny..or odd...or just plain different. After spending the week making a special order of two half aprons, (Sweet Field of Flowers pictured here), I've decided to get busy and make a couple of new peasant tops in the beautiful filmy, sheers that I brought with me from Cape Cod. Watching "Housewives of NYC" on Tuesday night, (my secret vice) I couldn't help but notice that one of the housewives showed up for two separate events wearing two different versions of a peasant blouse...very similar to the ones I make! Now, if a NYC housewife who is spending her summer in the Hamptons is wearing something that looks like one of mine, I must be on the right track. Or so it would seem. Stay tuned to see what I come up with.
www.apronsgonewild.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, but due to a large number of spam comments recently, I am now monitoring comments before publishing them. The Internet is a weird place sometimes!